The North Carolina Local Government Information System Association is an organization established to improve the efforts of local governments in North Carolina to plan, design, program, implement, and operate information systems. Specific areas of interest are:
- The sharing of practical experience and ideas related to the development of information systems.
- The education and enlightenment of local government personnel involved in the development of information systems.
- Dialogues with local government administrators served by information systems.
- The co-development and transfer of information system modules.
- The influencing of state laws and regulations affecting information systems.
- The establishment of positions on areas of national interest affecting information systems.
NCLGISA works closely with the UNC School of Government's Center for Public Technology to provide collaborative educational opportunities for government IT officials, with the common goal of strengthening North Carolina communities through the appropriate use of information technology.